We call on all governments to:
1. Procure only information technology that implements free and open standards;
2. Deliver e-government services based exclusively on free and open standards;
3. Use only free and open digital standards in their own activities.
This is what The Digital Standards Organization (www.digistan.org) demands. The reasons why they are demanding this is
- Government information, services and resources are increasingly provided virtually rather than physically
- Freedom of speech and association are increasingly exercised on line rather than in person
- The Internet and the Web provide an unprecedented avenue to equality of education and opportunity for all peoples throughout the world
You can support them by signing their petition.